Skip to main content

The Grading Conundrum and How I'm fighting Back with Badges

As many people who have gotten into a discussion with me about grading know, I hate grades.  I know that I'm not alone in this regard.  In fact, I would venture to guess that no teacher that enjoys teaching and watching students blossom throughout the course of a semester or year like grades.  Grades are so 1950, which is where many post-secondary schools are also stuck in terms of needing a grade point for students to attain. 


There are several colleges that are beginning to make a transition away from giving grades, which you can read about in this article by Barbara Bellesi, No-Grade Colleges Encourage Hard Work. There are even a few colleges that have begun relax requirements of ACT and GPA.  While there are studies that show a students grades are the best determinant in success in college, I would argue that it's not the grade, but the mastery of the concepts of the class that matters.  Earning a B- or C+ or an 80% or 95% can be drastically different between schools in terms of a value of knowledge.

Grading has always been a sore spot for me as teachers, parents, and students really cannot quantify what a grade really means and agree on it.  Over the past few years I have been introduce to a few super cool people with amazing ideas.  People like James Sanders, who works at KIPP Schools in California, and was on President Obama's education team as a fellow last year. James believes greatly in a system that uses badges.

Yes, you can think of them as a boy scout or girl scout badge.  It's actually a good metaphor for a school badge.  If you learn how to sew a patch on a sash, start a fire, lead troop activity or complete a ropes course you get a badge.  When you look at a badge, you know what it was that the person accomplished and what skill he/she mastered.  This is how "grades" should work in schools, and it is what I'm testing this year.
I used a web based tool called forallrubrics.com that has allowed me to create badges in place of grades.  They are all aligned to the Common Core standards, NETS, and Next Gen Science standards. Creating the badges forced me to think about what the core concepts were I needed my students to master in order to pass my course.

This also links directly to the new RTI initiative we are implementing.  There are a certain set of core standards that need to be met by every course.  Link them to badges, and when the badge is earned, you know that student has mastered that concept.  Some examples I like to give are writing an MLA paper, understanding how to graph a linear equation, or successfully completing an experiment.  Each of these have standards that are directly tied to the concepts and if a student earns that badge, the teacher, the student, the parent and any college admissions board should be able to understand what it is they have mastered.

It's also fun as you can create fun, cool, super creative badges.  You can link badges together to create super or epic class badges that require mastery of one badge to move to the next badge.  This gamifies your classroom a bit as well.  So far my students have given positive feedback to the badge system, and I encourage you to give in a try as well.  You can start by just using badges in one unit and see how it goes.

I still have to give a letter grade at the end of the course, but I made that easier too.  Certain badges are required to pass my course.  These are the essential learning targets.  If a student earns those badges, he/she pass with a C.  If she/he wants a higher grade, she/he needs to earn more badges beyond the required badges.  Below is a picture of the system in one of my courses.





For All Rubrics is not the only site that offers badge creation, but they make it pretty easy as you can simply select the standards from a list for each badge, add your description, create the badge, and award the badges all from their site.  Google Sign-in is available for schools that are Google Apps schools as well!

If you do give it a try, let me know how it goes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Allo, I'm sorry I pressured your early release!

This week Google released their new mobile chat application called Allo . It was first announced in May at Google's annual developer conference Google I/O . Google made many promises including that Allo and it's 1 to 1 video chat app Duo , would be released this summer. I believe that this was Google's largest mistake in regard to it's messaging app Allo. It was released on the very last day of summer while Duo was released almost a month earlier. This would indicate to me that Google wasn't ready to release Allo just yet. I think that they were caught in the trap of saying when they would release something and as the summer neared it's end the pitchforks began to come out from the public wondering where Allo was. I was one of those people. From the moment it was announced I was excited, if not a bit confused, that Google was coming out with a smart messaging application. So I want to apologize to Google and all of the men and women who have worked really hard

Google Glass Part 3 Reactions and Google Glass in the Class

Part 3 Final Thoughts      Google Glass has been a pretty great experience so far, and I have generally enjoyed using it.  The past few weeks I have been doing more at home and not needing to where Glass as much.  I do have to say that getting directions has continued to be amazing.  I use directions, sending/receiving messages, and checking notifications very often while on Glass and this all works pretty well.  The software continues to update and get better. XE8 just came out and added some cool features that I think will be really big as more software and apps are developed for Glass.  

My First Impression of the Google Glass Explorer Edition Part 1: Getting Glass and the Hardware

          You can read some other more  professional reviews  of Glass and even check out a  complete teardown of Glass  by clicking the links or doing a simple Google search.  I would like to focus on what the everyday user will find.        I have had Google Glass for a little over a week now, and I can say that it is certainly a revolutionary product. Glass is certainly still in it's infancy.  There are not too many apps available and we have no idea what the final product is going to look like for consumers, but in this post, I will attempt to address the different parts of Glass and the experience of getting Glass as an Explorer.  I will try to give some suggestions for using Glass in it's current state.  I will also offer some of my ideas on how the Glass team can make some improvements before they release it to everyone.