Skip to main content

LMS? CMS? No Next Generation Learning Platform



Recently, I switched jobs and I'm now working at St. Norbert College. (Also I do not speak for St. Norbert this is my opinion only) It's been a great move for me so far. I knew there would be differences between K-12, where I have been for the past 14 years, and Higher Ed. I have also had the privilege of teaching in Higher Ed at both Marian College and Wisconsin Lutheran College so I'm familiar with what is going on in Higher Ed.



One thing that is similar in both K-12 and Higher Ed is that everyone is looking for or in need of a Content Management or Learning Management System (CMS or LMS).  These systems currently allow for faculty to give access to their course materials, turn in assignments, and interact with each other.

To this point schools have mostly used the following: Moodle, Canvas, Haiku, and Edmodo. Lately, we have seen things like Schoology and Google Classroom. What is interesting is that everyone is trying to figure out what a LMS/CMS is supposed to do.  Is it just a place to put stuff and grade some things or should it do more?


What about a Learning Platform or LP? If it should be more than just a repository, what should a Learn Platform do?  A LP should be easy to use, extensible, social, and mobile. It should allow for chatting, video instruction and submission, have no storage issues, and give great analytics to administration, faculty and students.

I would take it a step further and say that it needs to be something that allows its use beyond just learning. For example, it should allow for student groups, athletics, administration and even outside groups to be able to use and interact with it. Parents need access in K-12 too.


So let's start looking for that Next Gen LP.  Over the course of the next few weeks I'm going to write a few follow up posts that relate to several LPs that I have had recent contact with in order to help others out there find what is right for their institution.  As I come across others I will add a post about them too. If you have experience with any of these or with others and want to add to the discussion, please leave some comments!

Here are a few:
Moodle
Canvas
Google Classroom
Edmodo
Schoology
Notebowl
Chalkup

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Allo, I'm sorry I pressured your early release!

This week Google released their new mobile chat application called Allo . It was first announced in May at Google's annual developer conference Google I/O . Google made many promises including that Allo and it's 1 to 1 video chat app Duo , would be released this summer. I believe that this was Google's largest mistake in regard to it's messaging app Allo. It was released on the very last day of summer while Duo was released almost a month earlier. This would indicate to me that Google wasn't ready to release Allo just yet. I think that they were caught in the trap of saying when they would release something and as the summer neared it's end the pitchforks began to come out from the public wondering where Allo was. I was one of those people. From the moment it was announced I was excited, if not a bit confused, that Google was coming out with a smart messaging application. So I want to apologize to Google and all of the men and women who have worked really hard

Google Glass Part 3 Reactions and Google Glass in the Class

Part 3 Final Thoughts      Google Glass has been a pretty great experience so far, and I have generally enjoyed using it.  The past few weeks I have been doing more at home and not needing to where Glass as much.  I do have to say that getting directions has continued to be amazing.  I use directions, sending/receiving messages, and checking notifications very often while on Glass and this all works pretty well.  The software continues to update and get better. XE8 just came out and added some cool features that I think will be really big as more software and apps are developed for Glass.  

My First Impression of the Google Glass Explorer Edition Part 1: Getting Glass and the Hardware

          You can read some other more  professional reviews  of Glass and even check out a  complete teardown of Glass  by clicking the links or doing a simple Google search.  I would like to focus on what the everyday user will find.        I have had Google Glass for a little over a week now, and I can say that it is certainly a revolutionary product. Glass is certainly still in it's infancy.  There are not too many apps available and we have no idea what the final product is going to look like for consumers, but in this post, I will attempt to address the different parts of Glass and the experience of getting Glass as an Explorer.  I will try to give some suggestions for using Glass in it's current state.  I will also offer some of my ideas on how the Glass team can make some improvements before they release it to everyone.